Furor over Chicago critic
Long-time Chicago Sun-Times theater critic Hedy Weiss (ATCA’s 2015 Perspectives in Criticism speaker) has stirred up a hurricane (not for the first time) with a June 13 review of Antoinette Nwandu’s “Pass Over,” a re-write of “Waiting for Godot” featuring two young African-Americans, now at Steppenwolf Theatre.
An ad-hoc group of theater people called for her ostracism by Chicago theaters, or at least cancellation of her free reviewer’s tickets. Several thousand have signed their online petition, along with many theaters. Many issues are raised in the responses. Here are some of the documents, most containing further links, some with extensive comments.
* Hedy Weiss review; also her 2015 Perspectives talk.
* Chris Jones review in Chicago Tribune.
* Balanced report by Diep Tran for American Theatre (ATCA’s 2016 Perspectives speaker: transcript of her talk).
* Opinion piece in Columbia Journalism Review.
* Chicago Tribune editorial.
* Kris Vire column in Time Out – Chicago.
* Cameron Kelsall column in the (Philly) Broad Street Review.
* Deanna Isaacs column in Chicago Reader.
* Playwright Nwandu’s response.