NCI seeks new director: apply now!
If ATCA has a home, it’s where it was born in 1974, under the copper beeches at the O’Neill Theater Center, home of the annual National Critics Institute. NCI has had just two directors -– Ernie Schier and Dan Sullivan, both founding members of ATCA -– and Dan has just retired. NCI is seeking his successor, as O’Neill executive director Preston Whiteway explains in the following letter seeking applicants. The deadline to apply is Nov. 15.
Dear NCI faculty, alumni and friends –
As you likely know, Dan Sullivan celebrated his retirement as Director of the National Critics Institute in July. I speak for the entire institution when I say that we are grateful for his remarkable stewardship of the program over the 15 years, and are truly delighted that he will remain part of the faculty going forward. We look forward to welcoming him back to Waterford in our 50th Anniversary season next summer.
As we prepare for summer 2014 and beyond, a search is underway for a successor to lead NCI. We’ve received a number of inquiries already, and want to open the process up to those of you who may wish to throw your hats in the ring. We anticipate meeting with and interviewing a number of candidates over the next two months, with the goal of having someone in place by the end of January.
The position can be done remotely most months of the year, with a 2-3 week residency in Waterford required each season. Compensation is $5,000 paid annually while the program is in residence.
• strategic direction of NCI and its curriculum in conjunction with O’Neill Executive Director
• securing and scheduling faculty within the budget provided by General Manager
• working collaboratively with the 5 other program Artistic Directors
• coordinating Fellows application and selection process with Literary Manager
• supporting recruitment and marketing efforts, potentially including some travel
• supporting fundraising efforts including written correspondence, personal meetings, etc. in conjunction with Director of Institutional Development
Those wishing to be considered are asked to submit, via email, a current resume or cv, contact information for professional references, and a cover letter detailing your interest and some preliminary thoughts on the direction you might wish to take were you named Director. Email materials to Preston Whiteway, at [email protected] by November 15th, 2013.
Please feel free to share this opening with those you think may be a good match. We look forward to welcoming you back to the O’Neill for this 50th Anniversary season, or seeing you at one of our reunions across the country in the coming year!